click to Read the passage: Joshua 6 (a new browser window will open)
1. God desired to give His people the land of Canaan.
see 1: 2,
2. It just took God’s people a while to get to where God could give them the
Thus, the wilderness wanderings.
3. Wickedness was a common expression in Canaan.
Their first view was of the walled cities of the giants.
Jericho represents the wickedness of Canaan also.
Along the way Israel saw plenty of wickedness and opposers of God.
4. No wonder God instructed His people to take no accursed thing.
5. God held Jericho for this time; it could not escape it.
(Now Jericho was straitly shut up because of the children of Israel: )
6. God removes evil by judgment.
v.24-And they burnt the city with fire, and all that was therein:)
7. God’s people go on into the land of promise partaking of that which is
righteous and God is committed to removing the evil.
Only when God’s people rebel against God do problems with evil remain.