Receive one sermon text a week by email, or a daily WiseWord by text or by twitter.

Weekly sermons and daily WiseWords are archived here.

Saturday, March 10, 2018

Don't be Like Peter, Be Like Peter John 13, 18, 21


Don’t Be Like Peter, Be Like Peter
John 13, 18, 21

13:37 1. Don’t try to do God’s work; do your work.
        (Peter said unto Him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my 
life for thy sake.)


13:38 2. Don’t trust in or rely on just your own ability.
       (Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I 
say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.)
18: 11 Don’t rely on first impulses to be spiritual.
        (Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup 
which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?)
        Peter was acting upon his own understanding.

18: 27 3. Purpose in your heart to be loyal to Jesus, never to deny Him.
        (Peter then denied again: and immediately the cock crew.)


21: 7 4. Don’t be afraid to abandon yourself to and upon Jesus, the rock of your
        salvation. Believe Him for all Jesus says.
        (Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord.
          Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher’s coat 
unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.)
        (Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land full of great fishes, a
hundred and fifty and three: and for all there were so many, yet was not the 
net broken.)

21:         5. Receive the fullness of Jesus’ forgiveness, love Him fully, love His people 
15-17, heartily, follow Him wholly.
19         (So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonah, 
lovest thou me more than these? …Feed my lambs.…Feed my sheep.)
        (…Follow me.)

Acts          6. Rely upon the continual presence of the power of the Holy Spirit.
4: 8         (Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye ruler of the 
                        people, and elders of Israel,)

4: 13 7. Let your testimony be that you have been with Jesus.
        (Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that 
        they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marveled; and they took
knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.)





No comments:

Post a Comment